1st form won the ESFA Schools Cup second round

Today saw the 1st form football team take to the field for the first time wearing the colours of St Johns in the second round of the ESFA Schools Cup, versus Parmiters School. St Johns dominated the game from the 1st minute and after a couple of missed opportunities it was Saurap Sampang who opened the scoring on 3mins, tucking the ball away nicely from a pinpoint cross from Leon Scarlett. After dominating the game for a further 15minutes and watching a handful of chances go begging, we were awarded a penalty on 18mins for a handball, which was coolly taken and scored by Leon Scarlett. The flood gates began to open, and on 24mins Saurap played a fantastic ball through to Nathan Okoh, who took one touch and slipped it past the on rushing goalkeeper to make it 3-0. On 25mins we were 4-0 to the good, and Saurap had his 3rd goal involvement, this time driving the ball low and hard from the edge of the box into the bottom right hand corner. Towards the end of the first half Parmiters began to put pressure on the St Johns defense, but Ethan Goumal commanded the back line excellently and made sure we went in at half time with the score at 4-0.  Parmiters began the second half as they ended the first and put St Johns under some great pressure, but were again unable to break through the strong defensive line. After being on the back foot for 15mins we were finally able to find our way back into the opponent's half, and Leon showed us his magic by hitting an outstanding shot from outside of the box into the top right corner, leaving the goalkeeper with no chance, 5-0. After that effort from Leon we were back in control and on 50mins Nathan made it 6-0 with a fine half volley into the left side of the net. It didn't take long for St Johns to strike again, and on 55mins Leon completed his Hat-Trick with what some would say was meant to be a cross, however Leon stands firm and claims it was a shot. He was down by the right hand corner flag and shifted the ball onto his right foot, got his head up and put the ball into the danger zone, lobbing the goalkeeper and sailing into the far side netting, 7-0. The whole squad demonstrated great effort and dedication today and to pick a 'Man of the Match' was incredibly difficult, however due to his outstanding leadership, control of the defensive line and calmness when in possession, the award goes to team captain, Ethan Goumal. The game finished 7-0 with St Johns worthy winners, and we now progress into the third round of the competition.